There are simple ways to start saving energy in your home. Using less energy saves you money and helps prevent climate change. All you need is a few easy tips to start saving now!
Turn off lights and fans
– One of the easiest ways to start saving is to turn your lights off when you leave a room or don’t need them on.
– Turn off your fans too, when not in the room.
– When you use dimmers you can avoid lighting a room more than necessary.
– Motion activated lights will turn on fixtures when needed, avoiding overuse.
Fact: It costs almost $20 a year to leave one light on for 8 hours a day.
Use drapes to stay comfortable
– During cold weather keep drapes open in the daylight hours to take advantage of the sun’s warmth.
– To keep out the heat of the summer sun, close window shades and drapes in warm weather.
– When opening shades you allow natural sunlight in and reduce the need to turn on light during daytime hours.
– To improve insulation and prevent heat loss close shades and drapes after the sun goes down.
Fact: Glass windows without shading allow between 75-80%of transmitted solar energy through, where vertical or venetian blinds allow 0-5%.
Use efficient porch lighting
– The outdoor porch light is one of the home’s most used fixtures so, start saving with energy efficient fixtures which can include motion sensor or automatic day-light shut off features.
– Turn off your outdoor lights or use a timer so they are not left on during the day.
Fact: Replacing your home’s five most frequently used light fixtures or the bulbs in them, with ENERGY STAR certified models can save you $75 per year on energy costs
Replace your light bulbs
– Begin by replacing one incandescent light bulb with an energy saving light bulb you can start saving about $6 per bulb.
– There are less frequent bulb replacements when you make the switch.
– It is a smart move to change from traditional lighting to more energy efficient lighting.
Fact: An energy saving light bulb uses about 75% less energy and lasts 10-25 times longer.
What are some ways that you have tried to save energy? Share your ideas with us in the comments section.