LED stands for “light emitting diode”. This is a semiconductor that efficiently produces light. But what does that mean for a consumer like you?
Let’s break it down.
Compared to other light bulbs, LEDs are:
- More energy efficient
- LED convert 80% of the electricity used to light, whereas incandescent bulbs only convert 10% of the electricity used to light.
- Shock resistant, and therefore, proven to be more durable & reliable
- Unlike other bulbs, LEDs do not contain filaments or have fragile outer bulbs. They can withstand the vibration of machinery and vehicles!
- Longer lasting (just not forever)
- LED lights have an extremely long lamp life in comparison to incandescent and fluorescent lights. They do not burn out, but rather start gradually dimming overtime. With the proper installation, LEDs can easily last 80,000+ hours of use.
- Environmentally friendlyLEDs do not emit harmful UV rays and contain no harmful toxins, such as Mercury.
- And are simply brighter!
Other great benefits LEDs offer:
- Generate less heat than other light sources
- LED lights release 90% less heat than the standard halogen light. They are cool to the touch in the direction they disperse light.
- Work well in cold temperatures
- LEDs generally do well in cold temperatures unlike fluorescent bulbs, which may dim, flicker, or not come on in cold temperatures.
- Directional lighting
- LEDs make for great spotlights because they focus light in a particular direction.
Knowing these amazing characteristics of LED, why haven’t you switched yet?